Rain brings respite from the scorching summer time warmth, nevertheless it additionally brings some troubles in the type of illnesses like dengue, malaria, chikungunya, viral respiratory sickness, diarrhoea amongst others.
Dengue fever is transmitted by the chew of an Aedes mosquito contaminated with a dengue virus, stated Dr Puneet Gupta, pulmonologist who consults on Practo. “With multiple cities including Delhi recording a high number of dengue-related cases every year, it is important that we know about the disease and how to prevent it,” he instructed indianexpress.com.
Symptoms, which normally start 4 to six days after an infection and final for up to 10 days, could embrace
● Sudden, excessive fever
● Severe complications
● Pain behind the eyes
● Severe bone, joint, and muscle ache
● Skin rash, which seems two to 5 days after the onset of fever
● Mild bleeding (such a nostril bleed, bleeding gums, or straightforward bruising)
Sometimes, signs are delicate and might be mistaken for these of flu or some other viral an infection. However, critical issues can develop if not handled on time. “These include dengue hemorrhagic fever, a rare complication characterized by high fever, damage to lymph and blood vessels, bleeding from the nose and gums, enlargement of the liver, and failure of the circulatory system. The symptoms may progress to massive bleeding, shock, and death. This is called dengue shock syndrome (DSS),” he defined.
People with weakened immune techniques in addition to these with a second or subsequent dengue an infection are believed to be at higher threat for growing dengue hemorrhagic fever.
Diagnosing dengue an infection
Doctors can diagnose dengue an infection with a blood take a look at to verify for the virus or antibodies to it.
There is not any particular drugs to treat dengue an infection. If you assume you could have dengue fever, you must use solely Paracetamol for fever. “Avoid medicines with aspirin, Ibuprofen, Nemuslide, pain killers, etc. (NSAIDS), which could worsen bleeding. You should also rest, drink plenty of fluids, and see your doctor. If you start to feel worse after 24 hours or if fever goes up, you should get to a hospital immediately to be checked for complications,” Dr Gupta stated.
Preventing dengue fever
There is not any vaccine to prevent dengue fever but. The greatest means to prevent the disease is to prevent bites by contaminated mosquitoes.
To defend your self:
● Stay away from closely populated residential areas, if potential.
● Use mosquito repellents, mosquito repellents cream, whereas going out and even indoors.
● When outside, put on long-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants tucked into socks.
● Use mosquito nets.
● If you may have signs of dengue, communicate to your physician.
● Avoid assortment of water in locations the place mosquitoes can breed. These embrace outdated tires, cans, or flower pots that accumulate rain. Regularly change the water in cooler, out of doors fowl baths and pets’ water dishes.
● If somebody in your house will get dengue fever, be particularly vigilant about defending your self and different members of the family from mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes that chew the contaminated member of the family may unfold the an infection to others in your house.