Elderly persons are extra inclined to falls and accidents, given their progressive deterioration of bones and muscle management. Having an elderly particular person at residence means making it accident-proof, identical to how you’d do it for a child.
Slips and falls will be extra harmful for an elderly particular person — main to hip fractures, cuts, and even catastrophic head and mind traumas — than for middle-aged folks. Which is why it will be significant to have sure preventive measures in place.
If you might have an previous particular person residing with you, Punita Khatter, the co-founder and managing director of SenOcare — an organization offering 24-hour personalised eldercare companies in India — suggests making the following fundamental enhancements to forestall falls and slips at residence.
* No free carpets or rugs.
* Repair frayed carpet, tape down free carpet edges to the flooring.
* Keep areas as open as potential, by eradicating clutters, free wires.
* Make positive all hallways, stairs, and paths are effectively lit and away from objects reminiscent of books or footwear.
* Use rails and banisters when going up and down the stairs. Never place scatter rugs at the backside or prime of stairs.
* In case of stairs in the home, put in a light-weight swap at the prime and backside of the stairs. You can get mild switches that glow.
* Wear non-slip footwear, reminiscent of slippers with rubber/non-slip bottoms or flat, thin-soled footwear that match effectively.
* Recommend motion-detecting lights in the rest room and different rooms as effectively.
– Place a lamp shut to the mattress the place it’s straightforward to attain.
– The telephone needs to be shut to the mattress.
– The mattress shouldn’t be too excessive.
– Bed rails are essential to keep away from mattress fall. You ought to at all times choose sturdy mattress rails and guarantee they’re put in as securely as potential. They may even assist them stand up from the mattress.
– Night-light; so the elderly particular person can see after they stand up.
* The flooring shouldn’t be slippery at any time of day or night time.
* Put a non-slip rubber mat or self-stick strips on the flooring.
* Have seize bars close to the tub and WC.
* Based on the dimension a WC place a washing chair, as many a time elders lose stability whereas bathing.
* Install hand-held bathe head.
– Keep stuff you use usually on the decrease cabinets (at the waist stage).
– Avoid stacking groceries and meals gadgets in excessive cupboards.
– Always use a step stool, get one with a bar to maintain on to. Never use a chair as a step stool.
Stepping out of the home
* Ensure they don’t seem to be sporting free, flowing garments.
* Make them put on snug footwear.
* Give them strolling sticks if suggested by the physician.
* Have somebody accompany the elder.