Plans are afoot for the built-in improvement of Motupalli, a historic port in Chinnaganjam mandal of Prakasam district.
The tourism potential of the sleepy village, the place the bronze idols of Lord Nataraja, his consort Parvati, their son Ganesha and Alwars, the Bhakti motion saints relationship again to the twelfth century, had been discovered within the Seventies, has remained hitherto untapped.
It is attention-grabbing to observe that cash and pottery from the ninth century Chinese Ming dynasty had been additionally discovered through the excavations carried out in 1972.
Recollecting the historic significance of the place, Dr. E. Sivanagi Reddy, Archaeologist and CEO, Cultural Centre of Vijayawada and Amaravati, stated that Motupalli had served as a world port throughout early and medieval durations. Inscriptions of Kakatiya Ganapathi Deva, Anapotha Reddy of the Kondaveedu dynasty and Deva Raya II of the Vijayanagara dynasty now on the Veerabhadra Swamy temple, point out the incentives supplied to the sea-borne merchants.
At the initiative of the Motupalli Heritage Society, officers from the Tourism Department not too long ago carried out a survey in and round Motupalli, an necessary port of with a flourishing EXIM commerce through the occasions of the Cholas and continued through the Kakatiya, Vijayanagara, and Qutub Shahi durations, in accordance to MHS Secretary Dasaratharami Reddy.
Italian traveller Marco Polo who had visited the port in 1287 AD, had given a vivid account on the flourishing commerce actions on the port through the reign of Kakatiya queen Rudrama Devi.
Dr. Jyothi Chandramouli, an area historian, gave an account of the literary references to the port through the Reddy interval.