33 C
Mumbai
Friday, May 7, 2021
Home Sports India Open badminton postponed owing to COVID-19 pandemic | Badminton News -...

India Open badminton postponed owing to COVID-19 pandemic | Badminton News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: The India Open Super 500 event, one of the final three qualifying occasions for the Tokyo Olympics, was on Monday postponed due to the raging COVID-19 pandemic within the nation.
The $400,000 India Open was scheduled to be held behind closed doorways within the nationwide capital from May 11 to 16.
“Considering the current challenges, BAI is left with no option but to announce the postponement of the tournament for the time being,” Badminton Association of India (BAI) normal secretary Ajay Singhania mentioned at a digital press convention.

The 2020 version of the India Open was cancelled after it was initially postponed from March to December.
“It is unfortunate that we had to postpone it for the second time. But I am confident when the situation will improve, we will conduct the tournament properly.
“The contemporary dates have nonetheless not been determined. That is one thing BWF will tell us in time.”
India have reported 2,73,810 new positive cases in the last 24 hours, the highest single-day surge taking the country’s caseload past the 1.5 crore mark. As many as 1,619 people have succumbed to the disease in the last 24 hours.
Delhi has emerged as the worst hit city with 25,462 cases reported on Sunday.
Given the grave situation, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal on Monday announced a six-day lockdown starting tonight till next Monday.
“Delhi goes right into a lockdown from tonight and we do not know what would occur subsequent and what can be the impression,” Singhania said.
“Situation may be very grave and so after a number of rounds of discussions with BWF in addition to the Delhi Government and different stakeholders and accessing the protection of gamers and officers, BAI took this determination.”
With COVID-19 instances rising, many high gamers, together with Olympic champion Carolina Marin, former world champion Ratchanok Intanon and Denmark’s duo of Anders Antonsen and Rasmus Gemke had withdrawn from the Olympic rating occasion.
“We had an entry of 228 gamers and shut to 300 peoples gathering together with coaches, assist workers and officers however many high gamers have withdrawn and the circumstances are such that India Open appears for now a really dangerous affair,” Singhania said.
Syed Modi Super 300 event, which was slated for November 17 to 22, was also cancelled in the revised calendar last year.
BAI also said “coaching schedule for Olympic-bound shuttlers and probables will proceed however relaxation camps can be postponed” in light of the situation.
BWF had earlier postponed the Malaysia Super 750 (May 25-30) and Singapore Super 500 (June 1 to 6), making the events the last two Olympic qualifiers before the qualification period ends on June 15.
Asked when the Olympic-bound shuttlers are likely to get vaccinated, he said: “Four days again we had a gathering, even the sports activities minister was there and all agreed to get the vaccination carried out for our shuttlers however there is no such thing as a deadline as such.”



Source link

Most Popular

EnglishGujaratiHindiMarathiUrdu