Latest technology news
(Adds futures, news objects) Britain’s FTSE 100 index is seen opening 3 factors increased at 6,048 on Thursday, in accordance to monetary bookmakers, with futures seen down 0.2% forward of money market open.
* ROLLS-ROYCE: Britain’s Rolls-Royce mentioned it aimed to promote its Spanish unit ITP Aero and different belongings to elevate not less than 2 billion kilos to enhance its steadiness sheet, which has been shattered by the journey stoop introduced on by the coronavirus pandemic.
* HAYS: Hays Plc, one of many world’s largest recruitment businesses, posted a 12% fall in its annual web charges on Thursday and mentioned it anticipated to minimize extra jobs this quarter by not refilling roles because it adjusts to the stoop in hiring due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
* OCADO: British on-line grocery store and technology group Ocado mentioned on Thursday Duncan Tatton-Brown would step down as chief monetary officer after eight years within the function and get replaced by Rolls-Royce finance chief Stephen Daintith.
* HUNTING: Oilfield companies group Hunting Plc on Thursday reported a 63% plunge in first-half earnings as its shoppers reduce on spending due to the coronavirus-led crash in gas demand, however it expects markets to enhance within the fourth quarter.
* HSBC: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday renewed criticism of British financial institution HSBC for its reported remedy of consumers linked with the professional-democracy motion in Hong Kong, saying China was “bullying” the United Kingdom.
* CAR PRODUCTION: British automobile manufacturing rose sharply in July however remains to be nicely under final 12 months’s degree after manufacturing nearly utterly stopped in April at the beginning of the coronavirus lockdown, trade figures confirmed on Thursday.
* JOBS: Britain’s companies companies haemorrhaged jobs within the three months to August, a survey confirmed within the newest signal of mounting unemployment as the federal government’s coronavirus job safety scheme is wound down.
* NICKEL: Nickel costs hit their highest since November on Friday, fuelled by strong demand from the stainless-steel sector and issues over provide from high producer Indonesia.
* GOLD: Gold costs fell on Thursday, following a pointy rise within the earlier session, as traders squared positions forward of a a lot-awaited speech from U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman (*27*) Powell.
* OIL: Oil costs have been in a holding sample on Thursday as a large storm within the Gulf of Mexico raced in direction of the guts of the U.S. oil trade, forcing oil rigs and refineries to shut, with little affect anticipated on provide as oil stockpiles stay excessive.
* The UK blue-chip index closed up simply 0.1%, struggling to construct on a powerful begin to the week as extra indicators of a sluggish financial rebound overshadowed optimism round COVID-19 vaccines and U.S.-China commerce.
* For extra on the elements affecting European shares, please click on on:
TODAY’S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other enterprise headlines (Reporting by Aakash Jagadeesh Babu in Bengaluru)