In India, summers are cruel. While the nature of the warmth is totally different — in the northern a part of the nation it’s dry, and in the south, there’s extra humidity — it may possibly go away folks feeling intensely uncomfortable. In some instances, warmth will be deadly, too.
And whereas the nation is already struggling to include the unfold of the COVID-19 an infection, warmth waves can pose an added downside, if not taken care of.
Dr Sanjay Shah, common doctor, Fortis Hospital Mulund, says excessive warmth can “result in increased hospitalisations for heat-related illnesses, as well as cardiovascular distress, brain stroke and respiratory disorders”.
“Extreme heat events can also trigger a ‘heat stroke’, which is a serious disorder. It means body temperatures of more than 104F, due to hot environmental conditions. It occurs when the body is unable to modulate its temperature. Here, the body temperature rises rapidly, the sweating mechanism fails, and the body cannot cool down. Heat waves generally lead to confusion, headaches, nausea, and dizziness. This condition can cause death or permanent disability if emergency treatment is not made available,” says Dr Shah.
Some important tips to deal with this
1. Keep your self hydrated: Always carry a bottle of water when outdoor. Make positive you drink loads of water and recent juices to give your physique the additional hydration it wants to make it by way of the sizzling days. You may carry some glucose water for immediate vitality. If your physician limits your fluid consumption for medical causes, test how a lot water will be consumed throughout sizzling climate. Avoid alcoholic, sizzling, or sugary drinks together with tea and low (they’ll make dehydration worse).
2. Have seasonal fruits, greens: Fresh fruit and veggies like mangoes, watermelons, cucumbers, inexperienced leafy veggies go a good distance in retaining you hydrated, whereas offering the much-needed nutritional vitamins and minerals. These are usually not solely straightforward to digest, however can even give your hydration ranges a lift.
3. Carry an umbrella at any time when you are out: Make positive you carry an umbrella to defend your self from the harsh rays of the solar.
4. Shower twice a day: Bathing helps in bringing down the physique temperature. It is finest to bathe with lukewarm water; research recommend taking a chilly bathe may very well swap you into ‘heat preservation’ mode.
How to handle heat-related misery
* Know whom to name if you want help — docs, civic authorities, and so forth.
* Follow your physician’s recommendation if you have any medical circumstances.
* If you really feel unwell, search medical assist at your nearest hospital.
* Avoid stepping out in the afternoon; choose sporting unfastened cotton garments (ideally in lighter colours).
* After you return residence, have a chilly refreshing drink — like lemonade, buttermilk, coconut water or simply plain water.
After the heat-related misery has handed,
– Continue to drink loads of fluids.
– Continue consuming fruits and veggies as a nutritious diet.
– Take time to relaxation and get better as dealing with extraordinarily sizzling climate will be very tiring.
– Go to your physician if you really feel unwell after the episode.