33 C
Mumbai
Saturday, January 16, 2021
Home Sports Top three males, women to quarantine in Adelaide ahead of Australian Open...

Top three males, women to quarantine in Adelaide ahead of Australian Open | Tennis News – Times of India

MELBOURNE: Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal might be amongst prime males and women gamers heading to Adelaide to serve their 14-day necessary quarantine earlier than travelling to Melbourne for subsequent month’s Australian Open, organisers have mentioned.
Hundreds of gamers and entourages will arrive in Australia from Jan. 15 and bear a compulsory, 14-day quarantine as half of COVID-19 well being protocols earlier than the Feb. 8-21 Australian Open at Melbourne Park.
Tennis Australia Chief Executive Craig Tiley mentioned the organisers wanted a second metropolis to guarantee they didn’t exceed the restrict set by the authorities for folks quarantining in Melbourne.
Adelaide will now host the highest three males and women gamers, together with Ash Barty and Simona Halep, who will even play an exhibition occasion earlier than heading to Melbourne for warmup occasions to be performed on the Australian Open venue from Jan. 31.
“We approached the South Australian government about the possibility of them quarantining at least 50 people,” Tiley informed Tennis Channel.
“But they wouldn’t have any interest in doing it, because there’s no benefit to them to put their whole community at risk.
“But it could be a profit if there was an exhibition simply earlier than Melbourne. So we selected the highest three males and prime three women and so they’ll play an exhibition on the twenty ninth and thirtieth of January.”
The players will be allowed five hours outside their hotel rooms to train during the 14-day quarantine and Tiley confirmed that health regulations would be the same in Adelaide.
South Australia Premier Steven Marshall said the exhibition event was a “large win” for the state.
“We have been working actually onerous with Tennis Australia,” Marshall said. “We may have some of the highest seeds enjoying proper right here ahead of the Australian Open.”
Tiley said he expected Melbourne Park, which saw about 800,000 people attend the Grand Slam last year, to have 50% to 75% of its normal capacity of fans in February.
Rod Laver will, however, not be one of them this year at Melbourne Park, which has its main showcourt named after the Australian great.
“I’ve decided to keep dwelling this 12 months and sadly will miss the Aus Open,” Laver, the only player ever to win all four major tennis championships in a calendar year twice, said on Twitter.
“I’m actually trying ahead to seeing tennis begin up once more in my home at RLA (Rod Laver Arena) and may have a digital entrance row seat! Best needs to everybody competing and to Tennis Australia for making it occur.”

Source link

Most Popular

EnglishGujaratiHindiMarathiUrdu