We’ve bid adieu to 2020 and welcomed the New Year with zeal. If there’s one factor the yr that handed taught us, it’s to not take our well being with no consideration, come what might. And given the dip in temperature, hair and pores and skin woes, amongst others, are aplenty this time of the yr.
During winters, the dearth of moisture within the air tends to dry out our hair and pores and skin, resulting in plenty of points akin to dandruff, pimples, chapping of lips, to call just a few. However, there’s a one-stop answer to all of those issues, and extra – carrots. Filled with goodness of vitamins and important nutritional vitamins, this root vegetable is the reply to a bunch of points that crop up, particularly on this season.
“Carrots are great if you suffer from dry skin, because they are packed with potassium. Drink carrot juice regularly to keep your body and skin hydrated. Carrot juice may help in reducing the appearance of blemishes and scars. Furthermore, they provide your hair with vital vitamins, making your locks stronger, thicker and shinier,” says Dr Deepti Dhillon, a dermatologist.
- For clear, nourished pores and skin, go in for this DIY face masks. You will want 2tsp grated carrot and 1tsp milk cream (for greasy pores and skin, substitute this with 1tsp aloe vera gel).
- Grind the carrots to a easy paste and add the opposite substances to it. Mix properly and apply evenly onto your pores and skin after you’ve cleansed it with a gentle cleanser. Leave it on for quarter-hour, rinse with chilly water and pat dry.
And that’s not all. “Carrots are an excellent source of beta carotene, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Beta carotene is a natural pigment which is essential for our body, as it helps the body to make vitamin A, which helps in improving eyesight. Beta carotene also helps in protecting the eyes from the sun and reduces the risk of other eye problems. Also, vitamins and minerals present in carrots help in building antibodies to defend our immune system and also prevent infections,” says nutritionist Manisha Chopra, who recommends consuming two to 3 carrots on daily basis.
What’s extra, carrots additionally assist in preserving blood stress in examine. “Red carrots are high in vitamins A, C and K. This vegetable, high in fibre, helps in lowering blood pressure. It is also helpful in relieving constipation,” shares chef Guntas Sethi Bhasin, who recommends whipping up a wholesome Gajar ka Halwa to begin the New Year on a candy be aware.
The wholesome halwa (Recipe by chef Guntas Sethi Bhasin)
- Peel 1kg pink, juicy carrots and grate solely the pink half. In a heavy-bottom kadhai, add 1-2tbsp ghee adopted by the grated carrots. Sauté it for 4-5 minutes till color modifications barely.
- Add 750g low fats milk and combine it collectively. Cook this combination on low-medium flame. After a couple of minutes, the milk will start to froth first and then begin decreasing slowly.
- Keep stirring the halwa combination, usually scraping the edges, and prepare dinner till the milk is sort of lowered. Add 1tsp elaichi powder and 5-8tbsp jaggery powder (relying on sweetness of the carrots).
- Simmer until the halwa combination begins to thicken and reduces extra. Stir at intervals. Once the halwa is totally dry, garnish with some dry fruits and serve sizzling.